I’m pretty good with a computer, but I know very little about the entertainment side of technology. So when I realized the opportunities to put that technology to use in South Sudan, I was a bit surprised.
I sent out a call for iPods so we could access the Murle and Dinka audio Bibles, and the call was answered by a fabulous family. Lauri shared our need with her family and even the kids pitched in to send us a collection of 4 amazing iPods. Yay!
We are so grateful for the way this family stepped up to provide this amazing resource!
After learning my way around iTunes and the iPods (without the help of a 12 year old), I tested the newly loaded devices and am very happy to announce that I think the idea will work wonderfully! The battery life is great and it is so easy having the menus in English. Listen to Matthew 1, the genealogy of Jesus, in Dinka below.
Now that we see how well this works, we thought we’d add to our wish list and see if anyone has some of these resources that they would be willing to donate. Perhaps you’ve been looking to upgrade – now is a great time. Items with asterisks are urgently needed by February.
- *iPhone 3 – preferred unlocked phones, but definitely not Verizon. We need at least three phones. Newer iPhones don’t seem to work.
- *iPhone/iPod charging cables and cases
- iPods – we could use a few more so we can multiply this idea.
- Speakers for iPods
- Solar charging station for iPods/iPhones
- *Tablets – A pastor has asked for two tablet computers. Android or iOS are fine, but they must have Wi-fi (most do).
- *Amplifier – Behringer iNuke NU6000 or equivalent of 6000 watts has been requested by a pastor. He has ministries in Uganda and South Sudan
- Small digital camera (Ours didn’t survive the last trip to South Sudan. Conditions are harsh)
Of course if we can’t find someone with these items to donate, we can always use money to purchase what we need. Financial gifts are tax deductible and can be made to PCC by clicking here. Please make sure you put Dan and Teresa Janzen in the notes field so that our account is credited.
Dan leaves February 3 and I (Teresa) leave February 12. This will likely be our last short term trip to South Sudan before we move there for full time ministry.
Your prayers and support are so greatly appreciated!
With much love and gratitude,
Dan and Teresa
Use this form to let us know if you have an item on the list to donate. Thank you! [contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]